Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Vegan Banana Pudding

One day when stuck with a pile of overripe bananas, I decided to make a banana pudding. A google search for vegan banana pudding recipes resulted in a bunch of complicated recipes calling for silken tofu or agar agar; let me assure you these specialty items are unnecessary. My simple and absolutely delicious recipe is below. I originally used soy milk which worked wonderfully, my second attempt used almond milk which didn't thicken quite as well, but then I realized I hadn't put in enough cornstarch (trying to do everything from memory is sometimes a bad idea), so I think had I not screwed up the recipe almond milk would have been fine.

Bring to a boil:
2.5 cups milk (dairy or non as you prefer)
1/4 c sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
Splash of vanilla

Reduce heat to medium, stir until thick (maybe 10-15 min)

In a cake dish or bowl, layer sliced banana and broken up cookies of your choice (Nilla wafers are traditional, I used a healthier option and went for Graham crackers, vegan varieties of which abound). Cool pudding slightly, pour over bananas + cookies, cool in fridge about 30 min. 

Then try not to eat it all in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment