Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vegan Soul Food: Blackeyed Peas and Collard Greens

 I'm a northerner and tend not to like much American food, but there is something about soul food... Unfortunately a lot of soul food favorites tend to be heavy on the fat and the animal products, but here is a healthy vegan version of some of my favorite Southern-style dishes.

Saute one onion, chopped, in olive or vegetable oil til soft.
Add large bunch of chopped collard greens, saute til wilted.
Add 3 cups cooked blackeyed peas and 2 cups veg stock.
Optional: add 1/4 tsp liquid smoke, which if you are used to having this dish with meat will add to the authenticity of the flavor.
Simmer on medium heat until the water becomes thick and gravy-like, about 20 min. Serve over any grain for a complete protein, I myself am partial to buckwheat groats with this dish.

The side I like to serve with this is mashed yams: boil or pressure cook several yams until soft (15 min in pressure cooker, much longer in regular pot). Mash with almond or soy milk and non-dairy butter (Earth Balance is my preference.) If you can't find the butter just the yams and milk are also quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment